Friday, 15 July 2016


I've not been a very good blogger over the last few months but my intention is to change - we shall see!
Although I haven't blogged I have been busy with all kinds of challenges. My first challenge takes place this Sunday at Worcester Racecourse when I shall be taking part in the Race for Life. I have never done anything like this before so it has really taken me out of my comfort zone. I have trained by walking and jogging and know that I can complete 10k, but I think there may be more walking than jogging! I am doing this to raise money for Cancer Research so if you would like to support this very important charity (and me!) I have a Just Giving page. Every little bit helps so thank you.
My next challenge is to complete all of my work for Art Textiles:Made in Britain as we will be exhibiting at Festival of Quilts at the NEC in August. Those of you who have read earlier blogs will know that I am a last minute person so you won't be surprised to learn that I am still busy stitching. Let's face it, it's nearly a month a way so there is no rush!
This is what I have worked on today. This is a detail of Pathways, one of my pieces for our exhibition, Concealed. It is a combination of shibori stitched indigo dyed fabric, circular chenille and lots of machine and hand stitch. I really enjoy the hand stitching although I always underestimate how long it takes!
I have several ongoing challenges. One of which is challenging my accuracy by making Dear Jane blocks.
For the uninitiated, the blocks each measure four and a half inches square and some of them have 40 plus pieces in them - definitely a challenge. I have no time limit for these and aim to make one a week. As there are 169 blocks in the quilt without the border I don't think it will be completed for a while.
When I'm out and about I always have my hexagon challenge tucked away in my bag.

These will eventually form a border around a Kaleidoscope quilt which I started over a year ago. Again, this is being made just for the fun of it with no deadline.
So you can see I have been busy. If only I could find a way to jog and stitch at the same time..........

Thanks for visiting and I will try to write again soon.

Edwina x

Friday, 17 June 2016

Exhibition weekend

It's that time of year again! All of my lovely students are eager to share their work with you. I do hope you can make it.

Edwina x

Sunday, 7 February 2016

Exploring collagraph printing

It's amazing how much fun can be had with a piece of card, textured papers, etching ink and a mangle!
We used mount board as a base which was then coated both sides and edges with acrylic gloss varnish. This made it fairly waterproof and gave a good surface on which to add texture. A second coat of varnish was added once the design was complete
These are the plates that Ruth made using different textured papers. This was pure experimentation as we had no idea what results we would achieve as the mangle is obviously no where near as efficient as a proper printing press.

This was a first print from the top right plate in the previous photo. It took quite a bit of experimenting to work out how much of the etching ink needed to be wiped away. Obviously here there was quite a lot still left on the plate so it was possible to take another print without adding anymore ink. 

Sue's first attempt worked very well.
As did Ineke's. Pieces of lace and anaglypta wallpaper gave lovely results.
This is a selection of prints Helen made introducing some colour to some delicate designs.
On the whole we were very pleased with the results and I'm sure that now we know how we need to make the plates to achieve good prints, there will be a lot more mangling going on!

Thanks for dropping by