Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Rehab!

I called it a retreat but somehow this was translated into rehab! Maybe that was what my week away in Cornwall was about as I certainly returned home rested and relaxed plus lots of progress on my work in progress.
With an exhibition in June to prepare for I had plenty of work to fill my days and although nothing is finished, I'm heading in the right direction.
This layered, bonded piece is based on photographs taken of Witley Court in Worcestershire. The machine quilting is finished, just a little hand stitching now required to add texture.
I have begun the machine quilting on this Christ Church Cathedral hanging, still a way to go but I am enjoying working with these colourful dyed and printed fabrics.
This is the beginning of another piece inspired by my visit to Matera in Italy. I recently heard Matera described as a honeycomb of dwellings carved out of the rocks hence my decision to work with these large hexagons. The hexagons are constructed from a wide range of fabrics from smooth cottons to knobbly linens and were all dyed in the same dye pot. The colours are so subtle and remind me of Matera buildings.
I couldn't go away without my indigo dyeing equipment and everyone enjoyed dipping their fabrics and threads. I took some of my mum's embroidered linens which took the dye beautifully (actually they are much darker than the photo!)
We were staying in a beautiful area very close to Mevagissey.
This was our local cove, only accessible by footpath.
So beautiful
We visited Charlestown, a popular place for film crews!
And partook of the compulsory cream tea
- well I did, some were more restrained!
Back to work now and probably the 5:2 diet!!

Thanks for visiting

Edwina

7 comments:

  1. Such a good week and you did such wonderful work, I don't know how it can be called work when it was so much fun!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours in the Witley Court piece and those hexagons look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was doing a Google search for a particular book/reading blog (A work in progress) and one of the results showed your blog. What struck me was that you are an Edwina too, so really just popping in to say 'hello' to a fellow-Edwina!
    Love your work by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was doing a Google search for a particular book/reading blog (A work in progress) and one of the results showed your blog. What struck me was that you are an Edwina too, so really just popping in to say 'hello' to a fellow-Edwina!
    Love your work by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Edwina. It's amazing what a Google search can lead too! Hope you found the reading blog you were searching for.

      Delete