Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Notans, colour and more

Well my good intentions of posting at least twice a month seem to have gone by the wayside. I'm not sure where the time goes - well I do really as I have taught more workshops than usual this month and am now busy preparing for a weeks retreat beginning in a few days time. What a luxury to have a whole week to dye, print and stitch. The only problem is making sure that I have everything I could possibly need, sorted and packed! We all know what it is like to be on a workshop and not have a particular thread, fabric, screen, printing block, paint etc to use, especially when we know exactly where it is in the workroom at home! I have been steadily collecting everything together so hopefully by Thursday, when I pack up my car everything on my list will be ticked off!
There has been some exciting work produced in recent workshops. Several of my classes have worked with exploded shapes and notans, working with positive and negative space created by cutting and flipping.







This simple activity led to many interesting designs as you can see here, some of which were later turned into printing blocks.
I taught my Colour Confidence workshop last weekend to lovely group of ladies in Greens Norton.
Before the workshop I dyed this rainbow of fabrics to cut up for their kits.



They then spent a very happy morning experimenting with many different combinations of the fabrics to meet the requirements of various colour schemes. I love the way each person arranges their fabrics in their sketchbook, a quilt for the making!
Now to concentrate on my work. Hopefully I will have lots to share with you on my return.

Thanks for stopping by.

Edwina


4 comments:

  1. This looks like a great class. Might you be running it at The Bramble Patch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah Jayne, I'm booked to teach the class later in the year at The Bramble Patch. Check out their website for further information. Maybe see you there?

      Delete
  2. Hi Edwinna - I think you and Catherine must have been conspiring back in March as she did notan with our little group as well! Your scroll idea has really taken off with a couple of our group also - Margot & Linda have done some amazing work on theirs. Mine is still in my head! Mary Ann in BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ann, we are always bouncing ideas off one another! Hope you enjoyed working with the notans. Look forward to seeing your scrolls the next time I'm over.

      Delete