Thursday, 29 January 2015

All the C's

I'm not sure what happened to all of my good intentions at the beginning of January but here we are with only two days left. I have had a busy month which included a week in Canada visiting my good friend Catherine Nicholls in Vancouver so I suppose once the jet lag is added on it's not surprising that I haven't found time to blog.
Before I left for Canada I finished Coffee and Cakes and as promised here are some images.

I decided to free motion quilt the names of the group members into the background around the cups and as you can see this has created a lovely texture. This is one of my favourite ways of quilting backgrounds.
I also completed the hand quilting on my Indian block printed quilt so all that is needed now is a binding. I will post images when it is bound.
My week in Canada was wonderful. I haven't visited at this time of the year before so it was an amazing experience to see the rain forest draped in lichen.


There was also an abundance of fungi
A fairy staircase maybe?
or maybe umbrellas?
Some were not quite so attractive!
As well as admiring the vegetation we went on several trips including a visit to Vancouver Art Gallery to see the Emily Carr and Landon Mackenzie exhibition: Wood Chopper and the Monkey. We also discovered an amazing installation by Ai WeiWei but more about both of these in my next post.
I hope your January has been as exciting as mine! Thanks for reading.

Edwina

2 comments:

  1. Lovely piece, and it look like you had a very eventful visit with your friend. Emily Carr is one of my favorite artists would love to see her work in person.
    ~ karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, if you live in the UK there is an exhibition of Emily Carr's work at the Dulwich Picture Gallery in London until the 15th March. I haven't managed to get there yet but have heard that it is excellent.

      Delete