Saturday, 25 January 2014

Making progress

It's been a busy week but I have made progress with my quilts for the summer exhibitions. It was also the first workshop of my six month course, Inspired by Art at The Bramble Patch. Once again, it is a great group of students who are enthusiastic about exploring lots of different ways to develop original designs which will lead to new and exciting textile pieces. Unfortunately I forgot to take any photos but I will put that right next month!
Here is an update on the quilting of 'Six Houses'.



The top section is quilted with a diagonal grid which contrasts quite nicely with the vertical quilting in the lower section.


The house numbers are going through many different arrangements until I decide finally how I will attach them to the background.
I have also made progress with another piece. I started with a set of house templates and a selection of fabrics and cut out a town!


This is how it is looking now.


I am continuing with my theme of house numbers so the next stage is to experiment with the addition of numbers, or should I say more numbers, to these houses.
On a short muddy walk alongside the canal last weekend I photographed some wonderful grasses which sparkled in the sunshine. I love wintery days like this when the sky is blue and sun is very low. Today we were caught in a thunderstorm with hailstones, such a contrast!





What wonderful inspiration for linear designs!

Thank you for reading,

Edwina




Thursday, 16 January 2014

New term

It was good to get back to teaching my regular courses this week and catching up with my students. We started the term by experimenting with homemade gelli plates using lots of different items to create textural marks before printing off onto paper.
The recipe for the gelli plate was one that Ineke Berlyn used in her course last term. It is simple to make and uses 6 sachets of gelatine (powdered not veggie or sheets) dissolved in 340 mls of cold water and 340 mls of glycerine which is available from chemists. Stir to dissolve the gelatine crystals and then heat in microwave for a few minutes. Pour into a flat container lined with cling film and leave to set. If the gelli plate is kept in a cold place it will keep for several weeks. I first made one before Christmas and left it in the garage and it is still working fine. If it should break up then place it in a jug and reheat it then pour it back into a container to set.
My first gelli plate is a rectangular shape and the second one is round which I really rather like. Here are some images of the round prints using commercial stencils for the patterning.



Annette also used a round gelli plate for her colourful prints.


Ann used mahonia leaves on her gelli plate plus other interesting textures.


Sue printed directly from her gelli plate which had some interesting textures without adding anything else.


All of these pages have been printed on both sides as the next stage is to cut them up to make books as Sheila has done here.


It will be interesting to see how these pages develop over the next few weeks. I think there should be some lovely little books produced.

I have completed my Winter wallhanging. This has been fun to quilt and I am very happy with the combination of indigo and rusted fabric. I seem to have a backlog of quilts waiting to be quilted so back to the sewing machine over the next few days.


Thanks for visiting, speak to you soon,

Edwina

Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Making progress

I have made a good start to 2014 by making time to be creative each day. OK it's easy when there are no teaching commitments but I do hope to maintain the momentum even when daily life returns to normal - whatever that may be!
The quilting on my winter Four Seasons piece is coming along.


I am using a combination of machine and hand quilting allowing the printed designs in the various sections to influence the stitching.


These flowing horizontal lines give a feeling of movement in the top section of the quilt.


I wanted to create the impression of dried grasses in this lower section which I had previously mono printed using  a sheet of glassine and thickened dye. I really like the unpredictability of the marks this technique produces. There is still more stitching needed here and more contrast of thread colour.
I came across this photograph of a hedgerow in the Vendee area of France taken several years ago which provided just the right inspiration for the quilting.


I have spent the last couple of days sorting out a cupboard in the room where my grandchildren sleep when they visit. I have used the cupboard to store all sorts of things over the years but it was time for a clear out! It is now reorganised and I have managed to create some extra space to store rolled quilts, as long as they are no wider than 80 cms. I still need to create a space for the larger quilts - maybe I should have a sale to move some of them on to new homes. Now there's a thought!

Thanks for visiting,
Edwina