Monday, 15 December 2014

It must be nearly Christmas!

You know it must be nearly Christmas when you see reindeer in the city centre!
They were obviously reserving their energy for the busy night ahead.
We visited Worcester Cathedral over the weekend to see the Festival of Christmas Trees in the cloisters. Many local schools, organisations and shops had decorated trees which were then arranged throughout the cloisters.
There were traditional trees, trees made from hops, glass, bamboo, vegetables, blocks of wood and fabric, to name but a few!


Apologies for the poor photography but what a fun way to raise money for local charities.
Back home we decorated a simple wreath with chillies, well it makes a change from the traditional holly berries doesn't it?
One benefit of long dark evenings is that there is time to hand quilt while catching up with the many TV programmes we have recorded.
I pieced together a collection of beautiful Indian block printed and Ikat woven fabrics a while ago and I am now enjoying the meditative process of hand quilting them with a selection of perle threads. I chose wool wadding and a backing of some appropriately coloured Oakshott fabrics and this combination is a dream to quilt.
Front pieced and ready to be tacked.
Backing fabrics pieced.
As the fabric designs are repeated across the quilt I decided to quilt each fabric design with a different pattern which I find keeps me interested as I'm not very good with repeating the same thing over and over again! I am challenging myself to quilt at least one fabric block each day so I should be finished by mid January......watch this space!
I hope all of your Christmas preparations are going to plan.
Thanks for visiting.

Edwina

No comments:

Post a Comment