Friday, 5 December 2014

Dyeing fun!

Over the last couple of weeks my students have played ( or should I say experimented) with family dyeing. It is a method I was shown by Leslie Morgan of Committed to Cloth when I was on a course at the Masseria della Zingara last year which I wrote about here.
Once the pots were labelled and set out and the two control dye colours selected, the fun began using a credit card to scrape the dye into sketchbooks and on to fabric to record the results.
Helen started with golden yellow and scarlet dyes and then added first a little blue and then a little lemon yellow to produce these lovely colours on the right.
Annette used indigo and golden yellow as her control dyes scraping them first into her sketchbook and then on to fabric. She then changed the proportion of the dye mix to produce the mixes on the right.
She then painted the thickened dyes onto a printing block to sample her range of colours on to cloth.
Judith began with rust brown and royal blue on the right and then experimented by adding dark brown (top left), then magenta (middle left) and finally a little more dark brown to produce this range of colours.
She then scraped this rather gorgeous piece of fabric with the mixed colours.
Sue used her credit card creatively to make these lovely marks using her mixed dyes which started with black and magenta and then a little royal blue.
 Meanwhile Ann was using some Thermofax screens to print these lovely crocheted doily patterns. The cloth will be used as a background for appliqué.
I have been busy stitching the scroll that I began a few weeks ago. I'm pleased with the result and really enjoyed the process. It was fun to get out the bead box and apply some beads.






This is a great way of using the scraps of fabric, threads etc left over from a larger project and would make a lovely gift for someone - maybe for Christmas!
I hope all of your Christmas preparations are well underway - that reminds me, I must feed the Christmas cake!
Thank you for visiting.

Edwina x

2 comments:

  1. How fun and beautiful! I haven't work with fabric in ages, and this definitely makes me want to revisit the process of dyeing fabric again. Thanks Edwina;)

    ReplyDelete