Friday, 18 July 2014

Here, there and everywhere!

It certainly feels as though I have been here, there and everywhere over the last few weeks. I hate to think how many hours I've spent in my car in the heat with no air conditioning but I had a free day today so it's been to the garage and is hopefully now fixed. So that's probably the end of the summer weather!!
The Pojagi workshop I taught in Southampton produced some lovely pieces of work.
Everyone enjoyed working with the hand dyed cotton organdie and to have the excuse to sit and hand stitch all day. This is not a quick technique but the results are worth it.
The students went home armed with a lot more fabric so I'm hoping that these will develop into larger pieces.
I stayed with old friends so it was good to catch up and have the obligatory walk by the sea. Living in the Midlands this is an essential part of any trip to the coast.
I love a train trip to London and I managed to fit one in and visit the Making Colour exhibition at  The National Gallery and an added bonus, the Summer Exhibition at The Royal Academy. Something that has been on my 'to do' list for a long time. Both not to be missed, but for very different reasons!
Another excursion on my 'to do' list was the Eden Project near St. Austell in Cornwall and we escaped down there for a few days last week. This is an amazing place to visit with so much to do and see. It is also a photographers paradise with so many unusual plants to capture and drool over later. Here are one or two of my favourites.





Needless to say the rainforest biome was my favourite.
The last few days have been spent stitching, printing and dyeing - what joy! I have finished quilting 'Matera' that I printed last year in Italy following a trip to this wonderful town. I have used a variegated thread and quilted vertical lines over the whole piece. I felt that the quilting needed to be simple to allow for the design and colours to dominate.
This will be on display on the Mettler stand at Festival of Quilts next month. Do come along and see it.
I have been busy printing some banners for the stand this week.
Here they are having just been printed and pegged up to see how they look. This piece may be on the stand as well. I placed the Lutrador over a length of cotton poplin so that any excess printing ink would not be wasted. A few hours later and an application of dye and this was the result drying on the washing line!
More out and about next week before teaching at Oxford Summer School and then it's Festival of Quilts. Who says summer is for relaxing!

Thanks for reading.
Bye for now
Edwina

2 comments:

  1. I love your Matera quilt Edwina - stunning !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have been busy. Love the Matera piece and that fabric. Not long now until I get chance to see it.

    ReplyDelete