I spent a very enjoyable session last week experimenting with a new colour palette.
I started with golden yellow and a small amount of dark brown dye and then gradually changed the value by mixing in more and more print paste. For once I was sensible and noted down what I was doing each time so that hopefully I will be able to achieve the same colours again! Usually I enjoy the serendipity of dyeing but as I have an end goal I thought I would practice what I preach!
Once I had created a colour run I then added different dyes to the pots - just to see what happened. I experimented with adding scarlet to the 4th pot and then diluting it with print paste, turquoise to the 5th pot and royal blue to the 6th pot. The greens in the next row up are a mixture of pot 6 and the royal blue. As you can see this is very addictive and it is amazing the wonderful colours that result.
The next stage in the process is to use these experiments as a guide to dyeing a collection of cloth. This is working towards one of several pieces of work for an exhibition next year - I hope you are impressed by this early start!
We managed to spend some time in the garden this weekend and one of the major jobs was to trim the bay tree which was getting out of hand. As you can see, it makes quite a statement.
Unfortunately with the trimming of the tree we removed four pigeon nests but I'm sure they will find somewhere else to take up residency nearby.
Just a reminder about our exhibition this weekend. Looking forward to catching up with many of you at Avoncroft Arts Centre and if you can't get there I promise to post some images next time.
All for now and thanks for reading.