Monday, 9 June 2014

Exhibition time

Here's a date for your diary!
I can't believe that it's time again for Ineke's and my students to exhibit their fabulous work that they have produced over the last year. I hope you will be able to come to Avoncroft Arts Centre to enjoy the work and have a chat over a cup of tea and a piece of homemade cake. We look forward to seeing you!
At home I'm still stitching facings and bindings onto my quilts for Identity and quilting an extra piece which will be laced around a canvas to be displayed at the same gallery at Festival of Quilts. I am really enjoying quilting this.

It is a mixture of machine and hand quilting on a background created from a collection of my indigo and potassium permanganate dyed fabrics. The canvas is 120cm x 40cm so there's a lot of stitching still to do.
Last week a group of us visited Kelmscott Manor in Oxfordshire, the summer home of William Morris and his family for many years. Unfortunately we picked the wettest day of the summer(!) so far but this didn't spoil our time there. It's a fascinating house with collections of textiles, furniture and ceramics produced by William Morris and his contemporaries. I liked the way Morris hung his textiles not only as curtains but as wallhangings. We all decided that we could happily move into the attic space which would make a fabulous studio.




A beautiful garden full of traditional plants and I even managed to find a plan for the garden.

Let's hope the next time I write we will have had some sunshine.

Thanks for reading,

Edwina

No comments:

Post a Comment