Monday, 10 March 2014

Spring quilt finished

You almost feel guilty spending time in the house when the sun is shining, as it has done here for the last few days, but I found time to finish Catkins and Pussy Willows last week.
I was pleased with the way the staggered binding worked using a mixture of some of the fabrics used in the panels.
As you can see in this detail, there is quite a lot of hand quilting and stitch embellishment to highlight the texture of the plants. It was quite a challenge to leave some background areas un-quilted but I like the contrast of the surfaces.
Now I must complete the autumn quilt, which seems rather untimely but it has been pinned on my design wall for several months and I have finally decided what is needed to finish it. I know that if I leave a piece of work it is usually because I'm not happy with it and I have to wait for that 'eureka' moment which usually happens at 3 in the morning!
Apologies for the quality of the photograph, but hopefully you can see how this is developing. When I am totally happy with the arrangement of the leaves then they will be machine appliquéd in place.
We took advantage of the sunshine on Sunday and went for a stroll around the grounds of nearby Witley Court, a 19th century mansion which was devastated by fire over seventy five years ago. The extensive grounds are gradually being restored to their former glory with the added attractions of an adventure playground (for the grandchildren) and a tea room (for us!).

This amazing stone fountain of Andromeda and Perseus is still being restored and is famous for shooting jets of water 100 foot into the air whilst sounding like an express train!
Many areas of the building have restricted access because of the danger of falling masonry but it still offers many little gems such as this beautiful stone carving.
I'm looking forward to visiting again in a couple of months when the rhododendrons are in flower.
Hope you managed to enjoy some spring sunshine too.

Thank you for reading,

Edwina

3 comments:

  1. The Spring quilt is beautiful and that lime green really adds so much freshness. I like staggered bindings too.

    What an amazing blue in that sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roll on spring and some more delicious greens! Love the pussy willows Edwina - the stitching really brings them to life! Urggh going back to autumn, (although the quilt is gorgeous) - but I am glad to hear that I am not the only one whose muse sometimes takes a while to descend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spring greens are lovely and with the sunny weather of the last few days, they are in abundance.

    ReplyDelete