Thursday, 6 February 2014

Catkins and pussy willows

It's amazing how much fun can be had with a piece of corrugated cardboard and a credit card ( and not spend any money!). It turns out that the cut edge of corrugated card can be manipulated to produce an excellent representation of a catkin and if it is curled, a fluffy pussy willow.


The same marks on soda soaked fabric with thickened dye works just as well.





I have coloured the background by scraping thickened dye over the printed catkins and added a few extra marks with the edge of the card.
I now have a collection of printed fabrics with similar images so I think cutting them up is he next stage.  I will let you know what I decide.
The gelli plate printed papers have now been cut up and there are lots of lovely books being constructed by my students.

These are a few of Barbara's signatures. I love the colour scheme here.

Jill used stencils that she had prepared to mask areas as she printed.

Jo chose a circular format for her book to complement her theme based on the solar system.

Linda created this lovely paper using her round gelli plate. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Last weekend I spent an indulgent weekend in London with my school friend Ann. We visited The Barbican to see the Pop Art Design exhibition; what a bold, experimental period that was. I hadn't visited The Barbican before and thought the gallery space was excellent as was lunch in the Foodhall - to be recommended! We later went to the Gielgud theatre to see a fantastic production of Strangers on a Train and the following day breakfasted at Delaunays in the Aldwych - delicious! Back on the 5:2 diet this week!!

Thank you for visiting,
Edwina

4 comments:

  1. Lovely marks and the books your students have made are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maggi. I'm still playing with different arrangements of the fabrics. I need a little contrast I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love corrugated card, so thank you for showing another excellent use for it! What gorgeous marks. Hazel Catkins and Pussy Willow will always remind me of nature walks at school in Ripon in the sixties! The late sixties of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, I remember nature walks too! Hope you have experimented with the corrugated card.

    ReplyDelete