Thursday, 16 January 2014

New term

It was good to get back to teaching my regular courses this week and catching up with my students. We started the term by experimenting with homemade gelli plates using lots of different items to create textural marks before printing off onto paper.
The recipe for the gelli plate was one that Ineke Berlyn used in her course last term. It is simple to make and uses 6 sachets of gelatine (powdered not veggie or sheets) dissolved in 340 mls of cold water and 340 mls of glycerine which is available from chemists. Stir to dissolve the gelatine crystals and then heat in microwave for a few minutes. Pour into a flat container lined with cling film and leave to set. If the gelli plate is kept in a cold place it will keep for several weeks. I first made one before Christmas and left it in the garage and it is still working fine. If it should break up then place it in a jug and reheat it then pour it back into a container to set.
My first gelli plate is a rectangular shape and the second one is round which I really rather like. Here are some images of the round prints using commercial stencils for the patterning.

Annette also used a round gelli plate for her colourful prints.

Ann used mahonia leaves on her gelli plate plus other interesting textures.

Sue printed directly from her gelli plate which had some interesting textures without adding anything else.

All of these pages have been printed on both sides as the next stage is to cut them up to make books as Sheila has done here.

It will be interesting to see how these pages develop over the next few weeks. I think there should be some lovely little books produced.

I have completed my Winter wallhanging. This has been fun to quilt and I am very happy with the combination of indigo and rusted fabric. I seem to have a backlog of quilts waiting to be quilted so back to the sewing machine over the next few days.

Thanks for visiting, speak to you soon,