Monday, 30 December 2013

Time to quilt

I quite like these few days between Christmas and the New Year when I can spend time at my sewing machine without feeling I should be preparing yet another massive feast. Actually a broken oven put paid to that any way! It is also good to have the opportunity to blow away the cobwebs and walk off some of the Christmas pudding which is what we did yesterday. It was a beautiful day with not a cloud in the sky and we visited Clent Hills.


This is a favourite place of mine as I visited it often as a child. It is totally unspoilt and the views from the top of the hills are wonderful. Birmingham is only a few miles away which is difficult to believe when you are surrounded by such lovely countryside.


Today we woke to more heavy rain and strong winds which is not going to help the flooding situation in nearby Worcester. Once more the River Severn has broken it's banks creating more havoc for local businesses.


I have been busy quilting one of my pieces for Identity, the first exhibition of Art Textiles: Made in Britain which will can be seen at Festival of Quilts 2014.


This is a whole cloth quilt using one of my breakdown printed cloths using the numbers that relate to the houses I have lived in during my life. As you can see, there are few threads to sew in tonight but I'm sure there is something to watch on TV while I do this!
I have also finished piecing together my winter Four Seasons quilt using some rust and indigo dyed and printed fabrics. I'm looking forward to stitching this piece with a combination of machine and hand quilting.


So I have lots to keep me busy over the next few days although we will be finding time to celebrate the arrival of 2014 with our lovely neighbours.
I wish you all a happy, healthy and creative 2014 and thank you for taking time to read my ramblings!

Edwina

3 comments:

  1. Hi Edwina, Happy New Year - hope 2014 brings everything you are hoping for. Lots of love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda and a Happy New Year to you and all of the family. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Edwina - well done for getting the sewing machine revved up - our family only went home today, (it was lovely having both children and their partners here for a lengthy stay) so it is back to the fabric tomorrow for me! Hope that 2014 is wonderful for you and yours and I look forward to learning more about everyone's sense of identity in August!

    ReplyDelete