Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Out and about

Earlier in the week I promised to post the link to the Open Garden where the group quilts will be displayed this Sunday so here it is Haymes Garth Open Garden I hope you will be able to get there especially if you live in the Cheltenham area as the garden is beautiful with views across to the Malvern Hills. I'm sure you will enjoy the quilts as  well. I had a sneak preview on Monday and they are looking good!
I'm teaching a Pojagi workshop this evening so I have been busy dyeing and preparing fabrics so that everyone can have a go at this relaxing hand stitched technique and maybe make a small wrapping cloth.

The cotton organdie I dyed takes the colour so well, although maybe nit quite so vibrant as in the photograph!
Earlier today I went walking with a school friend ( we go back a long way as we met when we were 5 years old!). We tramped through meadows of very long grass close to the River Avon in Pershore, before relaxing over a delicious lunch. Just before the rain started we went to see Pershore Abbey which dates back to the 10th century. In the grounds was this beech tree stump which had been carved by Tom Harvey and inspired by local school children.


This was the carving on one side of the tree and on the other side it looked like this.


The abbey is rather like a patchwork with evidence of sections no longer standing and many additions. I particularly liked these window shapes

and this door


The hinges look far too large but rather gorgeous!

Must load the car now, speak to you soon.

Edwina




3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colours - like the dyed fabrics at our recent Colour Confidence course!
    Love the carvings - looks like it's worth a trip there one weekend.
    Caz
    candellecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Caz. I would certainly recommend Pershore and the local area for a day out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a door like that leading to my studio! And a carving in my garden...

    ReplyDelete