Sunday, 9 June 2013

Exhibition time again

It's that time of year when all of the end of year exhibitions are held and I know that all my students are working towards finishing some of their textile pieces that have developed over this year. Our theme has been 'Art as Inspiration' and, as usual, there will be some wonderful sketchbooks and stitched textiles to see at our end of year exhibition in two weeks time.



Ineke Berlyn's students will also be displaying their work from various courses taken with Ineke over the year so there will be plenty to see. I do hope that you will be able to join us over the weekend. There is always a great selection of delicious homemade cakes to enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee and all the proceeds go to charity. Last year we raised £1100 and we are hoping to beat this amount this year.
I also have deadlines to meet and I have completed another Sushi quilt, with one more to finish and that is well under way. I have a few more decisions to make for the final piece so a little more staring and auditioning is still needed.


This latest addition to the series is 'Sushi'. It continues with the same dye painted sushi shapes quilted with irregular lines of machine quilting using a variegated thread. The green section is quilted with a list of ingredients used in the making of sushi - rather appetising I think!


As you can see in this close up I have embellished the background with some small double-sided squares continuing with the wasabi green and pickled ginger pink colour scheme.

The group project that I spoke about in my last blog is finished. All of the blocks have been trimmed, stitched together, extra stitches added to blend the individual sections and finally faced.


It is 70 inches long so pinning it to the door to the garage was the only option I could think of so that I could photograph it. I'm very pleased with the result and will be delivering it tomorrow so that it can hang with the other quilts at Fiona's fund raising open garden next Sunday. I hope to get there and if I do I promise you some photographs of the other quilts. It should be a stunning display.



Here are detailed images to show the variety of techniques used to make the blocks.

The next pressing deadline is my 'create' book for the Beauty of Books exhibition at Weaver's Gallery in Ledbury at the beginning of July. I have another half a dozen small blocks to make before I can put together my book. More of this next time.
Hope you are all having a creative time and meeting your deadlines too!

Speak to you soon
Edwina

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to try very hard to get over to the exhibition which should be well worth the trip.
    A lovely result for the group project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maggi. Hope to see you at the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've put the dates in my diary and hope to get over on the Sunday to see everyone. Golly, I miss my Tuesdays ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be great to see you Liz. Hope you can make it.

    ReplyDelete