Thursday, 31 January 2013

January Journal Quilt

I decided to sign up to the Contemporary Quilt Group Journal project again this year. I rather like the discipline of producing a small monthly quilt as it is an opportunity to explore and experiment with new ideas.
This year each quilt must be 12in x 8 in with a landscape orientation and each person has to state a theme to follow each month for the whole year. As I had already considered working with an actual landscape theme that is what I have chosen to do. I will also include city and seascapes to allow myself a little lee way!
For January my inspiration came from a photograph I took at the beginning of the month of a beautiful sunset across the Worcestershire countryside. The foreground was inky black but there was so much colour in the sky - just stunning.


There is no piecing in this quilt, just layering of fabrics with the occasional bonded strip.


I enjoy this collage like approach for small pieces of work.


This is the completed quilt with added stitch in both hand and machine although it is difficult to see the hand stitching on the black fabric!


Here's a close up of the stitched detail on the black fabric.
I think next month's quilt is probably going to give me similar photographic problems as I have a snowy landscape to work with. Perhaps I need to improve my photographic skills!
Hope you are having a creative week.

Speak to you soon
Edwina

1 comment: