Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Dyeing in the snow

The dyes were out and there was plenty of snow at the Barn today so why not experiment?
I had seen the results of other peoples' snow dyeing experiments so decided to try out some for myself.
I started with some snow in my cat litter tray and while my fabric was soaking in a soda ash solution, I mixed two dye solutions. One solution was a mixture of indigo and golden yellow and the other magenta and charcoal and I dripped both of these over the layer of snow.
I then scrunched my fabric over the top of theses layers and put more snow on top before dripping over the rest of the dyes.
This concoction is now batching in the utility. I really want to rinse it out as I'm eager to see the results. As I write this the snow is falling once more so there may be more opportunity to experiment again later in the week!
Images of snow dyed fabrics to follow soon!

Thanks for reading
Edwina

4 comments:

  1. I have also tried this, but only added snow at the top of the fabrics. And I got some fabulous fabrics, you can se them here if you want: http://buds-of-may.blogspot.no/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been snow dyeing this week too and did as Greta did and just put one layer of snow on top of the fabrics and then poured the dye over. I will be interested to see your results. Mine are on my blog at http://mixedmedia-jem.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greta and Julie, your fabrics look wonderful. I hope mine looks as good. Will post images soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I'd had a go at snow dyeing last Tues!!!! Lovely results from Inekes snow dye session! x

    ReplyDelete