Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Babies and lemons!

We have had a new addition to our family this morning. My third grandchild but first granddaughter arrived safely around 5am. She has a gorgeous name, Isla Grace and when I have photos I will share one with you. Needless to say I am very excited but feel that while I am waiting to have my first cuddle I should update my blog and show you what I have been doing over the last week or so.
I have started work on this month's journal quilt which has the theme of fruit and vegetables! After making several drawings of a sliced lemon I made some printing blocks from various materials and used them in my sketchbook and on some fabric. This month and for the next three months the journal quilts have to use mainly yellow fabric, hence the lemon!
A couple of sketchbook pages showing gestural drawings and various prints.
A few of the printed fabrics ready for the next stage.
I have also made some progress with my sushi quilts for Six's exhibition in September.
As you can see this is very much work in progress. Here I am using the large dyed circular pieces cut from a larger printed fabric and auditioning possible layouts. If you would like to read more about this please take a look at the Six and Friends blog.
Catch up with you soon
Edwina

4 comments:

  1. Congratualtions on your new grandchild and welcome to Isla Grace.

    I had a go at printing with an actual lemon and an orange a while ago. Using fabric paint it gives some interesting texture, not sure what effect it has on the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edwina,
    These are just beautiful. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind comments. Printing with lemon juice on fabrics dyed with potassium permanganate is fun as it will discharge the dye. A sliced lemon would be fun, I'm not sure if orange juice would have the same effect. I must try it!

    ReplyDelete