Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Weather maps

I wanted to share with you what I've been doing over the last few weeks - I can't believe it is so long since I last posted. Where does the time go!
Once a month I attend Ineke Berlyn's Landscape workshop at her Barn where I teach my regular classes. It is good to be a student and not leading a workshop for a change!
This year I'm working with weather maps with the intention that the resulting quilt will be entered into The Quilters' Guild Challenge category at this year's Festival of Quilts in Birmingham. The theme is  'Britain - what it means to you' and I thought that the British weather was a suitable topic to explore.
I have started work on this idea in my favourite manner which is to produce a palette of fabrics which I am now cutting in to workable chunks.
This section started with thickly painted isobars on white fabric which I then painted over with dye. The linear marks are made with printing blocks as is the lettering.

The detailed sections are printed using a Thermofax screen which I had made. I'm liking the contrast of the different printed sections.
Here I used a pearlised fabric paint on some black fabric combining two different Thermofax screens.
This fabric collection is growing nicely and I have ideas brewing for how they might all come together.
Watch this space!
Edwina

2 comments: