Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Lost in Lace

I managed to fit in a visit to Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery this week to see the Lost in Lace exhibition before it ends on 19 February. I am so pleased I did as I thought the exhibition was wonderful. I appreciate the intricacies of traditional lace making but to see the structure of lace on a large scale, as so many of the artists had interpreted the theme, was breathtaking.
I managed to take some flash free images of some of the exhibits to share with you here.
After the Dream, Chiharu Shiota

Lace the final frontier, Michael Brennand-Wood (detail)

Moucharabieh Jardin de lit, lit de jardin, Annie Bascoul
Lacing Space , Piper Shepherd (detail)
The latticed eye of memory, Liz Nilsson (detail)

A definition of lace from the Dictionary of Lace is 'a textile patterned with holes which are created by the manipulation of threads' and these pieces followed this tradition using up to date technology and materials.
As a reminder of traditional lace, this detail is of Point de Gaze lace owned by Mrs W A Cadbury and now part of the museum collection. It was this lace that inspired Piper Shepherd to make Lacing Space (above).
I would certainly recommend visiting this exhibition before it finishes on Sunday - and it's free!
Edwina

2 comments:

  1. Stunning photos Edwina - makes me want to go back and look again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what day I turned up to look at this exhibition (and the Leonardo drawings of course?) No? Well, the 22nd. What a numpty I am!!! Still, the chap serving me in Muji told me all about it and how wonderful it was and commiserated that I had missed it.

    ReplyDelete