Thursday, 24 November 2011

Exciting news!

As many of you may know a group of us are working towards an exhibition inspired by the Orient that will first be displayed in September 2012 at The Needle Museum in Redditch, Worcestershire. The artists making up the group 'Six and Friends' are Hilary Beattie, Ineke Berlyn, Laura Kemshall, Linda Kemshall, Catherine Nicholls, Annabel Rainbow, Stephanie Redfern, Marie Roper and myself and today we launched a new blog so that all of our followers can keep up to date with the progress we are making.
If you would like to take a look then follow the link www.sixandfriends.blogspot.com
I have had a few thoughts about how I might develop this theme and last week I made an indigo vat and dyed some gorgeous cotton organdie and some linen.
This is the piece of organdie straight out of the vat and resting on the lawn.
The cotton organdie has taken the dye beautifully and I love the crisp feel of the fabric to stitch.
I have actually started stitching, experimenting with the Korean technique of bojagi or pojagi.
A pojagi is a Korean wrapping cloth that is usually hand pieced from scraps of fabric. Having searched the internet for information I discovered many pieces that were made from sheer fabrics so that the seams played an important part in the design. I rather like this idea so here is my first attempt.
The pieces are joined together with a run and fell seam which took me straight back to my needlework lessons at school. There is probably a seam like this in my cookery apron that took a year to make, I must look and see!
Those of you who visited Festival of Quilts in Birmingham a few years ago may remember a beautiful exhibition of work made in this way.
I have also started to think about the last four journal quilts that I need to design and make. They each have to have at least one button on them so keeping with my stripy theme I am going to use these two stripy shirts that I have been given.

Now if I remember correctly quilts made from sections of clothing are called Waggas in Australia. I'm looking forward to the challenge.
All for now
Edwina

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Edwina. Then just about all my work must be "Waggas"! Men's shirts contain so much good fabric! and then there are the buttons, labels and pockets. Enjoyed the print-making photos, and your Spring quilt is gorgeous.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete