Saturday, 1 October 2011

Journal Quilt deadline met!

If you had been wondering why I haven't posted during the last ten days then I can explain! As well as having had a hectic teaching schedule I have been busy completing my Contemporary Quilt Group Journal Quilts for the 30 September deadline. It would make life so much easier if I made one a month but I'm not disciplined - well not until I have a deadline anyway.
Here are the three 10 inch quilts for July, August and September all of which are loosely based around the  theme of light and somewhere include stripes.
'Seaside' is my quilt for July and is based on a plaque I saw in a cafe in Beer, South Devon. I really do like to be beside the seaside so this seemed to be an appropriate saying to use on my quilt. I wrote the words with a tjanting using soy wax before rubbing thickened Procion dye into the soda soaked fabric. I added the large brightly coloured sun which was made from painted Lutrador and Bondaweb and highlighted the letters with some hand stitched stripes. The rest of the quilt was machine quilted.
This piece illustrates what the weather has been like this week, it was 28 degrees today which is unbelievable for the 1st October.
August's quilt shows my attempt to capture the effect of dappled sunlight coming through the trees onto a path way. I cut circular shapes from several individual layers of sheer fabric using a soldering iron and then placed them over a striped fabric on which I had written a diary entry for that day. I completed the piece with both hand and machine quilting. I rather like the effect of the slightly different coloured sheers placed over each other. This is the photograph that inspired the quilt.
September's quilt was inspired by an unexpected trip to London taking advantage of very cheap train fares. I used heat transfer paper to bond the various tickets and information about one of the exhibitions we visited to the background fabric. I chose this brightly coloured fabric as it reminded me of the colours used by Max Lowry. I used a twin needle to quilt the pairs of parallel lines to represent the rail tracks.
So the quilts that had to include text are completed and now I have to think about how I am going to incorporate buttons into the next four. The deadline for these will be the end of January so there's plenty of time to think about this!!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Speak to you soon
Edwina

1 comment: