Tuesday, 20 September 2011

This and that

Back in August I had some friends over for our annual indigo dyeing day. Ruth had been busy preparing a piece of fabric for dunking in the indigo vat and we were all excited to see how it turned out.
This is the prepared fabric
and this is the resulting fabric.
I am amazed at the amount of detail Ruth has created here. It is beautiful. It measures about a metre square and the plan is to use it as the centre of a quilt and surround it with other indigo fabrics that Ruth dyed on previous summer indigo dyeing days. I will keep you posted on how it develops.
As you may remember I was not happy with the amount of quilting I had done on my entry for Festival of Quilts this year and rather than put it away in the cupboard and forget about it I decided that I would continue to work on it.
This is how it looked at Festival (but not quite so wonky!)
I had quilted some of the lichen shapes but ran out of time and didn't quilt enough of them to create the effect I wanted. Having discussed several possibilities with the study group at Committed to Cloth last week, I set about adding extra quilting to some of the areas.


There is still a lot more quilting to do but I'm much happier with the surface that I'm creating now. I'm also pleased that I didn't just put it away!
It has been a horrible day here with lots of rain. Let's hope it will be better tomorrow as I'm off to Llanidloes again to give a talk.
Speak to you soon
Edwina

2 comments:

  1. I love the indigo fabric, Edwina! I also admire the fact that you have continued to work on your quilt, even after it was in the Festival of Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that indigo is to dye for! Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete