Friday, 19 August 2011

More Festival quilts
As promised here are a few more quilts that caught my eye at Festival. Unfortunately I didn't always make a note of the number so I can't acknowledge the makers. Many apologies for this but if anyone can tell me who made these quilts I would love to know.
I was drawn to the indigo dyed fabrics that were used to make this quilt.
This was a powerful piece made, I think, by Turid Tonnessen and titled Consumed.
This was a winner of the Quilters' Guild Challenge entitled Festival. Herme de Ruiter made this colourful quilt inspired by a Chinese festival.
I really liked this use of the humble hexagon. The 'black' hexagons are actually open spaces.
This quilt 'Colour Comes to the back of Beyond' was awarded  a second in the Group category. The approaching women carrying quilts and cakes made for an unusual quilt which attracted a lot of attention.
This is a detail from a beautiful quilt where each block featured a different machine stitched motif embellished with a hand embroidered section.
Another detail of a quilt which incorporated all kinds of materials including paper patterns, wrappers and a variety of fabrics.
I liked the composition of this quilt made by Karin Huettemann, especially the graded colours. 'Do you really want it black?' apparently started life as an almost black fabric which was then discharged and painted with dye.
I rather liked this unusual repeating block in Helen Howes' quilt 'Enchanted Forest'.
I hope you have enjoyed looking at some of my favourites from the show.
Until the next time,
Edwina

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these - they prove the suggestion that we all go to a different show! Of all the images you've posted here the only one I recall seeing is the wonderful 'Do you really want it black?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first two in this post especially :) Thank you for posting these photos as it seems I missed seeing several of these quilts at the show itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention...
    Enchanted Forest came about because I was sent a block of 1/8 cuts of the background fabrics, with a note saying "Make something"..
    Helen Howes

    ReplyDelete