Monday, 15 August 2011

A few favourites from Festival
I can't believe that Festival of Quilts is over for another year. It was so good to see so many students and friends again and catch up on their news and, of course, see the amazing range of quilts that are on display. It is always interesting comparing favourites with friends after the show because they always have images of quilts that I didn't see even if I did try and take a different route to the loo each time!
Here are a few of the quilts that caught my eye.
This was one of the most photographed quilts from the show. It was the winner of the pictorial category and made by Janneke de Vries-Bodzinga who also made the quilt that was voted Best in Show although I must admit I preferred this piece. It had amazing detail and was beautifully made and you could almost feel the heat from that sun!
I liked the slightly abstract quality that Doris Alcock brought to this landscape quilt. There is so much to look at and the colours work well for me.
As you can see from the notice alongside Hilary Beattie's quilt she received a well deserved Highly Commended for this beautifully designed piece. I like the unexpected detail that appears on a closer look.
Ineke Berlyn's eye catching four piece wallhanging was inspired by the four seasons. Ineke designed this to hang in her new home.
On a much smaller scale was Jenny Rolfe's miniature quilt. I really like her colour scheme and the stitch detail.
Maggie Barber stitches exquisitely and all of the colour on this wallhanging is created by stitch as hopefully you can see from this not particularly good detailed image below.
I have more images of the quilts that appealed to me and will share them with you later in the week. Tomorrow I'm going to visit the summer exhibition at the Minerva Arts Centre in Llanidloes - just in case I haven't seen enough quilts this week!
Speak to you soon
Edwina

3 comments: