Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Catching up
I can't believe it's been two weeks since last I posted a blog. Where does the time go? Ah! I know the answer to that - a week in Scotland teaching some lovely students how to screen print and paper laminate, completing my quilt for Festival of Quilts that had to be delivered at the latest on Friday 29th July( I stitched on the sleeve the night before so it was finished well before the deadline!), teaching three workshops last week and catching up with all of my on-line students. 
My good friend Catherine Nicholls from Vancouver has been staying with us over the last few days and I was going to say that I was entertaining her but in fact she has worked in the garden and cooked dinner for the family - what a great house guest!
I promised to share with you some of the wonderful fabrics that developed during the workshops in Scotland. The students worked very hard and were so excited by their fabrics. They experimented with many techniques as you can see.
Marjorie printed layers of colour starting with yellow, then red and blue dyes which she applied to her fabric using a silk screen with masked off areas.
This is the fabric after rinsing. What a great result!
Petra used a Thermofax screen to build up layers of colour. 
To produce this lovely effect Stella printed her fabric with a blank screen and then over printed with a leaf shaped stencil cut from sticky backed plastic and applied to a silk screen. I like the layered effect she has achieved here.
This is just a taster of some of the fabrics that were produced, I will post some more later in the week. 


And just to show that the past few weeks have not all been hard work, here are Sue and Catherine enjoying a well deserved pub lunch! 
Speak to you soon,
Edwina

No comments:

Post a Comment