Monday, 11 July 2011

A weekend in Bruges
What a lovely city to visit for a weekend break. Eurostar makes it so easy to cross the Channel to Europe and if it hadn't been for rail works on the line home from London, it would have been a perfect trip! 
Bruges is known as the 'Venice of the north' for obvious reasons. The canal network through the city is lined with fascinating buildings, many of which are medieval, and crossed by pretty bridges.


It looks from my photographs as though there was hardly anyone around but in fact it was bustling with people carrying maps and cameras - just like us!
We discovered several pavement sculptures such as this horse which was sited outside a modern art gallery ( unfortunately I can't remember the artist's name).
and this is one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse found in the grounds of the Gruuthuse Museum.
While enjoying a beer in one of the tree lined squares we saw this amusing site. I wonder if it is the Belgian equivalent of the 'naughty chair'!
Now I'm home I must concentrate on my entry for Festival of Quilts which must be completed by the end of the month - this is a little worrying as I have made very little progress with it and I'm going to Scotland to teach next week. It's a good job I work better with a deadline!
Speak to you soon
Edwina

No comments:

Post a Comment