Thursday, 19 May 2011


Ready to quilt!


My May journal quilt is now ready to stitch. I spent a happy hour cutting and bonding the different coloured shapes to the background. 
The way the soy wax resisted the dye on some of the fabrics was just the effect I wanted for this area as you can see on this close up.
I had time out this afternoon to visit Quilts UK at Malvern. I haven't visited this local show for several years so it was good to go and meet up with old friends.
Here are a few of the quilts that caught my eye so I thought I would share them with you.
Marrakech by Pauline Barnes
Pauline uses her sewing machine to great effect creating intricate detail on a wide range of fabrics.
The Fall by Veronica Broadley
I was fascinated by the effect that Veronica created using Markal oil sticks, paint and quilting to depict the repetitive dream of falling.
Echinacea Purpurea by Hilary Beattie


Hilary has been sharing her design ideas with the Midlands CQ Group recently and it was good to see this inspirational quilt again.

Inspired by Fusion (group quilt)


This quilt was inspired by a spiral staircase in a tower in Bath. I was intrigued by the idea of  a group working on such a complex design!
Flowers and Lattice by Lynne Edwards (detail)

I am usually drawn to quilts with bright colours but I was instantly attracted to the subtle colours in this beautifully hand appliqued and hand quilted wallhanging.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Love the colours on your May Journal Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soy wax has made some really organic (and 'licheny') effects - looking forward to learning more about this at next Midlands group. I just love the colours on this piece (and on the collage too - that was worthy of a frame itself I think) they are bright, yet I can see them all in lichens, if a little more subdued. But you know I like bright colours! Will you keep these when/if you enlarge this idea? Thanks for the photo of 'Echinacea' - that feels such an 'old' quilt now, yet it was only made 7 months ago! Obviously been a very busy 7 months! - Hilary x

    ReplyDelete