We had great fun yesterday in my Journal Days class experimenting with paper lamination. I was introduced to this technique at Committed to Cloth on one of my study days. I thought I would share with you some of the results.
I used newsprint cut into random shapes and placed on a padded drop cloth. I then pinned a piece of polyester organza over the top, making sure it was taut and making contact with the paper.
Jill had prepared a silk screen with masking tape so I borrowed this to screen the acrylic medium onto the fabric. It is essential that the medium penetrates through the fabric onto the paper so screening it on is one of the best methods to achieve this.
You can just about see the areas of acrylic medium in the photograph. This must dry thoroughly before ironing it to set it. This is then soaked in a bucket of water for a few minutes and then rubbed carefully to remove the excess paper.
This is the resulting fabric. You can see where the acrylic medium has not made a good contact with the fabric and paper as the paper comes off at the rubbing stage. I rather like the resulting distressed look.
Joan used colour photocopies torn into strips and laminated to a very pale pink polyester organza. Rather a nice landscape I think.
Ule used a Thermofax screen to laminate her coloured newsprint to her fabric.
This is Ule's resulting fabric. It will be interesting to see what happens next!
I used a Thermofax screen with a checkerboard design for this. Skyscrapers come to mind!
I'm now going to turn my back on my computer and stitch for the rest of the day - apart from a trip to the dentist! Hopefully it will be a productive day and I will show you what I have been doing soon.