Sunday, 20 February 2011

February Journal Quilt complete!

I seem to be juggling several projects at present so it was good to have finished one today. My February journal quilt for the Contemporary Quilt Group is finished.
February JQ 

It was ready for quilting several weeks ago so to help me decide how to quilt it I drew a few thumbnail sketches and as you can see I decided to keep it simple. I liked the effect of the straight stitches around the moon of my Sand Sea and Stitch piece so used the same idea here, and the same thread (one of my hand dyed indigo threads).



As I had set myself the challenge of using a striped fabric in each journal quilt this year, I experimented with a page in my sketchbook and wrote the word 'stripes' repeatedly using a variety of neutral coloured pens. I rather liked the effect of this page of vertical writing so I had a Thermofax screen made from it and used it to discharge a small piece of black fabric using Formusol discharge paste. I decided to use narrow strips of this as a binding with Bondaweb ironed on to the reverse then folded in half and ironed into place.

left - page from sketchbook, right - discharged fabric

I am also including an image of the reverse of the quilt as I used a gorgeous piece of indigo dyed fabric! and it shows the effect of the simple quilting pattern.

reverse of quilt



2 comments: