Monday, 17 January 2011

You will be pleased to know that progress is being made to my lichen piece but I am now waiting delivery of a can of webbing spray so that I can create a new screen. I have decided to screen print a background before applying the shapes cut from the wax resist fabrics I showed you last week. As you can see I have experimented with a possible layout but will finally decide once I am happy with the background.

I was teaching my monthly patchwork class as The Bramble Patch on Saturday and realised I needed a new piece of work to advertise a two day workshop I'm teaching there in the summer - Sand, Sea and Stitch (see Talks and Workshops for more details). During this workshop students dye a range of fabrics using indigo and potassium permanganate and then use their fabrics to produce a wallhanging inspired by a photograph of a seascape. The fabrics are most appropriate to this theme. So yesterday I dived into my stash, then found an appropriate photograph and started work.

I began to assemble my cut and torn fabrics following the lines I had drawn in some quick thumbnail sketches and after several arrangements I think I am now happy with my composition. There is no piecing involved as the wadding is sprayed with 505 so the background section are held in place and the smaller pieces are bonded or will be anchored with stitch.

There will be no time for stitching this today as I will be working with my online students for the rest of the day but it is sometimes good to take a break from a piece and then assess again later.

Have a good day!

Edwina

1 comment:

  1. I was looking at some indigo dyes the other day. It's such a beautiful blue.

    ReplyDelete