Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Last summer we visited a local National Trust House, Coughton Court in Warwickshire and when we were walking around the gardens came across this lichen covered fallen tree trunk.

The colours were fabulous and so inspiring that I decided to dye a range of fabrics to work with in a new project.



To compliment this range of fabrics I began to experiment with soy wax resist methods on one of my monthly independent study days at Committed to Cloth with Claire Benn and Leslie Morgan. My fabrics developed over several sessions and I now have an exciting palette with which to work.




As I'm off on my first study day of the year tomorrow, I pieced together a selection of my fabrics this morning ready to take with me.
I'm rather pleased with my composition and although I have assembled it as a landscape piece it is quite possible that it will end up portrait as it looks just as good that way round.
I have thoughts about appliqueing some of my wax resist fabrics on to the surface but will also experiment with ideas of printing or stencilling over the top of it - may be even both! I think samples are called for here.
I will let you know the outcome soon.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful colours, Edwina! I've just started a blog myself and I'm using it to share my Design Matters Creative Quilt work with the virtual world. I look forward to checking out what you create in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your new blog. I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous fabrics Edwina! I just read your paragraph on Design Matters News and it brought a smile to my face, because I also started a blog a few months ago for the very same reason. Knowing that I need something to post on my blog helps me to start and finish projects. Good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabrics Edwina. Can't wait to see how they develop.

    ReplyDelete